Scrabble

For Week Six, on the Student Blogging Challenge, I chose activity number one, research a board game. For my board game that I am researching, I chose Scrabble. Scrabble has been one of my favorite board games for a long time. My dad and I play it together all the time. I thought it would be pretty interesting to research a family favorite board game for this challenge.

Scrabble was invented in 1933, by Alfred Mosher Butts. It was originally started as a scoring word game, called Lexico. In the early 40’s, the game’s name was changed to Criss Cross Words. Many companies rejected Alfred’s game, until he met a man named James Brunot. Together, Alfred and James Brunot made the rules, and later changed the name to Scrabble. The name was trademarked in 1948.

Alfred Mosher Butts lived in New York, and came up with the  game in New York. When Alfred met James Brunot, and business started rising, they changed the name to Scrabble. The Scrabble games were started and manufactured in Dodgington, Connecticut, in a former schoolhouse that they rented.

Scrabble was invented for home entertainment during the Great Depression. Alfred originally invented it for his family and friends at home. Later, though, Scrabble became a popular board game as I described earlier. As many of you know, Scrabble is started in the center of the board. Before Alfred met James Brunot, and before they changed the rules, the game was actually started in the top left corner of the board.

Scrabble is now owned by Hasbro. It is still a family favorite board game for many people. I know that my dad and his grandma enjoyed playing this game together as well. This is one of my favorite board games, and I really enjoyed learning about the history of it. What is your favorite board game? Do you know about the history of that board game? Please comment!

Image by: www.thewordfinder.com