D.A.R.E Essay

During D.A.R.E I’ve learned many skills on how to stay away from drugs, alcohol, smoking, and tobacco. I’ve also learned a few skills about bullying. One skill I learned is the Five W’s of reporting bullying. They are Who, What, When, Where, and Why. Another skill I’ve learned about bullying is to stand up for the person being bullied, and don’t be a bystander. I’ve learned being a bystander is not a good thing.

One of the most important things to me that I’ve learned from D.A.R.E is to never smoke. One of the things I’ve learned about smoking is that there are more than 200 harmful chemicals in cigarette smoke. I’ve also learned that cigarettes contain nicotine, which is a powerfully addictive substance. Staying away from smoking is important because it is very harmful to people’s lungs and other body parts. I know that I will never smoke!

My favorite thing that we did in D.A.R.E is when we got to wear the goggles that made everything look weird and out of place. Our D.A.R.E officer, Deputy Thomas said the goggles show what everything would look like to a person who is drunk. It was really weird to see things like that! When we had the goggles on, Deputy Thomas had us walk across a bridge made of tape and turn around and try to catch a tennis ball. I missed the bridge and the tennis ball! I had a hard time seeing them right!

The skills I’ve learned has really helped me know what to do in a situation with drugs, alcohol, bullying, tobacco, or smoking. I’ve learned with drugs, smoking, alcohol and tobacco to avoid the situation, to say no and give a reason, to change the subject, or just walk away. It is very important for people to stay away and stay healthy. I pledge to never ¬†use drugs, alcohol, tobacco, or use anything to smoke and I won’t let anybody influence me to use them.